Monday, February 12, 2007

"Significant Snow Totals Expected" and Technical Difficulties

I spent today marvelling at how advanced and incompetent technology can be. I attended the Ohio etech conference, with the specific purpose of looking for some new technologies that may be better than what we are currently using for our Virtual Academy. I registered for the TECHNOLOGY conference on-line, thinking it would be the best way. No. Unfortantely, it seems that many other people also registered online, but, although the conference was able to bill their credit cards without a problem, they were unable to send out the registration confirmation and other information, so a large portion of the people attending had to wait in a line while they tried to figure out what went wrong. Ah, the joys of technology! How ironic that the people who registered the old-fashioned way didn't have a problem!!

I am supposed to be at this overwhelmingly disappointing conference again tomorrow and Wednesday, but I am not sure it is going to happen. The snow has already begun here, and we are supposed to have close to 4 inches by morning, then some ice is possible, before switching back to all snow to finish out the day. They are calling for close to a foot or more by the end of the day tomorrow - schools are already closing! I don't think I will be driving an hour north, where they are calling for more snow than what we are getting, to experience more of what was an incredibly large let-down of a conference. I did get some good give aways from the exhibit hall, and, despite telling myself I wouldn't, snagged a LARGE number of pens. Perhaps the need for pens at conferences is contageous from a certain Panther I know...! :)

Anyway, I am planning on a warm fire, hot tea, and popcorn as tomorrow's activites, along with playing with my favorite two-year-old! I hope you are all warm and well!!

1 comment:

Chelle said...

Pens...you got pens?!?!?! How exciting!! I miss pens. Haven't got pens since Louisville...sigh={

No school here today, either...and I spent the day playing with my favorite two and a half year old!! Possibly no school tomorrow, either. We are already on a 2 hour delay and the early out we were to have has been cancelled.

Your technology irony is just as good as my missing a weather make-up day due to weather!